The Museum opened as a school in 1870, the school which closed at the end of 1938.
Subsequently, it was used to manufacture military uniforms during World war 2, then by the Lands Department and the Shire of Myrtleford as an office and works depot.
The Historical Society was formed in 1982 and the "Old School Museum" began to tell the story of Myrtleford and District in 1987.
Our Objectives - In Summary
- Collect, care, store and preserve objects, documents and stories relating to the history of the Myrtleford district.
- Provide a publicly-accessible Museum to display and interpret the collection and its stories.
- Maintain an accessible record of information on the catalogued collection for the people and stories it represents and ensure the Museum is maintained as a suitable and effective repository.
- Achieve sustainability for the Historical Society and Museum so that the collection and stories will survive long term, in consultation with members of the Alpine Shire Heritage Network, Alpine Shire Council and community stakeholders