Victoria’s most popular tourist destination situated on the Great Alpine Road in the land of legends.
Situated 308 km north-east of Melbourne and 310 m above sea level, the township and shire of Bright is one of Victoria’s most attractive tourist destinations. Nestled in the beautiful Ovens Valley and surrounded by the towering Australian Alps, Bright offers good quality off-the-mountain accommodation to those wishing to ski at the nearby resorts of Mt Buffalo, Mt Hotham and Falls Creek.
- Population approximately 1,900
- 308 kilometres north-east of Melbourne on the Great Alpine Road
- Located at the foothills of the Australian alps
- Close to Mount Hotham, Mount Buffalo and Falls Creek
Bright has been a popular holiday destination for Australians and international visitors since the 1870s. A pretty town infrastructure invites you to stay while you explore the nearby Mt Buffalo National Park or Alpine National Park.
There is something for everyone all year round, whether your interest is in snow sports, trekking, biking or horse riding.
- Visit the fascinating Bright Art Gallery and Cultural Centre.
- Children can play for hours on the enormous playground right beside the Ovens River, behind the Bright Visitor Centre, at Centenary Park.
- The Bright Museum on Railway Avenue has a unique collection of old railway equipment and carriages.
- The Bright Country Golf Club, set in a picturesque valley, welcomes visitors.
Bright is the ultimate destination for outdoor adventurers. It is the gateway to some of Australia.s most spectacular alpine scenery (or high country) and tour operators ensure unique activities are accessible for everyone.
Whitewater rafting, gliding, horse riding, trekking, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, abseiling and rock climbing are just a few of the available activities, depending on the season.